social facebook button blue 256  Instagram  Pinteresttwitter 

English English

In 1864, the Millville Library and Reading Room Association was established. The location was a small building in the Glasstown at Buck Street & Columbia Avenue. Members, 17 and older, joined by buying stock (children were prohibited from library use until 1872). In 1868, yearly dues were raised to $3.00. In 1883, the original building was sold, and the Library moved to the Workingmen's Institute Building at the foot of High Street. By then the book collection consisted of 2,000 volumes, and there were newspapers and magazines. A large reading room was established for use by the public free of charge. Due to a rent increase in 1887, the board voted to rent a space over the Simmons Brothers' Store (Fath Dept. Store) on High Street. The Library moved again in 1893 to the Women's Christian Temperance Union Building on Mulberry Street between High & Buck where it remained until 1908.

The Library was incorporated in 1908, and purchased the Millville National Bank building at 2nd & Main Streets for $2,000. Membership was $1.00 per year. Non-members could use books in the library. Books could be borrowed if you registered and presented satisfactory references, or deposited the value of the book and paid $.05 in advance per week. The decision was made in 1914 to open as a free library. Card holders increased from 90 to 1,600, and to 3,250 by 1918. Circulation quadrupled in one year. Many services were extended to the community including sending books to those serving in the armed forces in 1918 and again in 1940. Old books and magazines were donated to the state prison farm at Leesburg, and children's books were lent to the schools. In 1939, children at the age of nine were allowed to borrow books. Story hour was begun in 1947. Art work was often displayed on the walls by local artists. The Library was open afternoons and evenings except for Sundays. In 1950, the library contained an estimated 7,000 volumes, and subscribed to approximately 50 periodicals and local newspapers. As early as 1953 talks were begun regarding the need for a new library.

In March, 1961, a plot of ground on Buck Street was leased for a proposed new library. Ground was broken on May 14, 1962 and the new library opened on March 27, 1963. In one year visitation doubled to 28,000, and circulation went up by 13,000 books. A decade of progress and advancement in facilities, programs and services was begun. Staff increased to 17, circulation rose to 75,000, new collections were started and others expanded. The Gant Room was used for almost 200 well attended programs. There was a community outreach book delivery service to the homebound and senior centers. A volunteer group, Friends of the Library, was formed. Members worked at the desk, planned story hours, sponsored cultural programs, organized book bazaars, conducted a Great Books Discussion Group and purchased many new items. In March 1975, a 3400 sq.ft. addition was completed to house a Children's Department and office space. In 2005, there were 62,000 items in the collection, and there were 140,000 visitors. New computer technology is increasing. With the Library utilizing every available inch of space, including the basement, we begin again to dream of future expansion.


There is no better way to celebrate a friend's or family member's life milestones or the spirits of our departed than through a gift to the library. Your gift not only honors these individuals, but also enriches the community. If you would like a book or other media purchased in honor of a friend or loved one, please print, and return the Gift/Memorial Form to the library. A bookplate will be put in the front of the book or media case giving the details of the gift. The information about the gift will also be registered in Millville Public Library's Memorial Book. You will receive an acknowledgement from the library. A letter will be sent to the family or individual being honored. All donations to the library are tax deductible.



The Millville Public Library is centrally located in Millville, NJ at:

210 Buck Street, Millville, New Jersey, 08332

From Bridgeton:

  • Take Rt. 49 east to Millville.
  • Immediately after crossing the bridge at the Maurice River, bear to the left.
  • Turn left at the traffic light onto Buck Street.
  • Go about 2 blocks to the top of the hill, and turn left into library parking lot

From Vineland:

  • Take Main Road (Rt. 555) South to Millville.
  • After passing over Rt. 55, Main Road becomes Wheaton Ave.
  • Continue on Wheaton Ave.
  • Go through first traffic light at G Street.
  • At next stop sign turn left onto 3rd Street
  • Go 1/2 block on 3rd to traffic light at 3rd & Broad
  • At light, turn right onto Broad Street.
  • On Broad Street, go three blocks to the intersection of Buck and Broad.
  • At intersection, turn left onto Buck Street.
  • Go about 3 blocks on Buck.
  • Turn right into library parking lot just after the American Legion Building

From Route 55 (Philadelphia, Camden, Deptford, etc.):

  • Take Rt. 55 South
  • Turn off on Exit 27 (Millville - Rt. 47)
  • At end of ramp bear to the right onto Rt. 47
  • At 2nd traffic light on RT 47, bear right at fork in road.
  • At 3rd traffic light, bear left onto High Street.
  • At 5th traffic light (Post Office on right hand side) turn right onto Mulberry Street.
  • Go 1 block on Mulberry to stop sign at intersection of Buck & Mulberry.
  • Turn left onto Buck Street.
  • Just past the American Legion building turn right into library parking lot.

From Garden State Parkway:

  • Take Exit 36.
  • Take Rt. 40 west to May's Landing.
  • Just west of Mays Landing take Rt 552 west until it becomes Broad Street.
  • Follow Broad Street past a number of lights until you come to a blinker.
  • Turn left on Buck Street.
  • Go 3 blocks on Buck Street.
  • Just past the American Legion building turn right into library parking lot.


millville city
The City of Millville, New Jersey
12 South High Street,
Millville, NJ 08332
Telephone: 856-825-7000
Bring your Laptop, we are wifi enabled!